Understanding Humility
So after almost a decade of no projects in writing, or even attempts at it, I have brought myself to write or type, something just to express my thoughts. Thanks to the world being flat, I have been able to recently view a series of lectures on my heroes and have been able to reflect deeply on what humility really means. Needless to say we should define what it is, it is the opposite of arrogance, bravado, and conceit. However, to fully grasp what humility is we ought to look at what humility is not. Firstly, humility isn't about who is right, and who is wrong, what is good and what is evil, what is good for the greater good or what is good for oneself. Humility is a state of unending listening, intently, carefully listening, empathizing with the other, trying to put yourself in the shoes of the other. It is having a lower view, of one's needs, one's own importance, one's presence. Often we are taught about the importance of confidence, about the belief in one's self, the delusion of grandeur, the endless faith that we can do it. Now however, when you live that type of mindset, you will always tend to unintentionally, unconsciously even, step on the bounds of others, often hurting them, resulting from the differences in how people are raised. I find humility to be simply emptying the mind of any preconceived bias, consciously or unconscious, stop assuming, stop presuming, stop preempting, stop preparing, and just embrace the crazy thing called life. To act as if one is a sponge, simply absorbing everything around them, all inputs good or bad, all theories right or wrong, all beliefs crazy or not. True humility is putting someone else before one's self. Two of my closest friends have shown me this, through their actions with others, and their daily deeds. I sort of forgot this along the road, success, and success have led to arrogance, and attachment to victory. This resulted in my undermining the importance of others, blatantly at times. It is true that I am right almost all the time, however, it is wrong that I deprive others of the ability to be wrong or right. For me that is where I went wrong. It's ok to be right, but it is not OK to monopolize or assume to have monopolized, truth and understanding. This kind of living leads to breaking bridges instead of building them.
But thanks again to people who have shown me, that life is truly worth living, and it is actually ok to be wrong most of the time. What is more important is the tolerance of the right of others to be wrong, or right for that matter. Life is full of surprises. Its about having the right mindset to walk around in life that matters. Being able to accept people for their scars, and not thinking like hitler that one belongs to the master race. :D Often it is very easy to mask arrogance as confidence, conceit as high self esteem. So for me, I'm ready to be wrong all the time as long as I keep learning, and keep accepting my mishaps, lacks, weaknesses, failures, and other stuff. Gone are the days when i will pass along judgement on people for simply thinking a different way, for simply being a different way. Perhaps in the first place that was a mere defensive mechanism against being hurt. But either way, I'm moving on. I am to assume nothing, to think nothing, to empty my mind of any positions.
So to conclude what is humility. It is giving without expecting anything in return, it is loving endlessly without reprieve, it is giving your life for some else. It is caring for others, putting them before yourself. It is a redeeming experience, It is about giving and giving. 77 times that is how many times you are to forgive your brother or sister. It is like taking care of a toddler. :D It is the expression of sorge. It is the fulfillment of humanity. It is accepting that you cannot be right all the time..
SO i shall continue
But thanks again to people who have shown me, that life is truly worth living, and it is actually ok to be wrong most of the time. What is more important is the tolerance of the right of others to be wrong, or right for that matter. Life is full of surprises. Its about having the right mindset to walk around in life that matters. Being able to accept people for their scars, and not thinking like hitler that one belongs to the master race. :D Often it is very easy to mask arrogance as confidence, conceit as high self esteem. So for me, I'm ready to be wrong all the time as long as I keep learning, and keep accepting my mishaps, lacks, weaknesses, failures, and other stuff. Gone are the days when i will pass along judgement on people for simply thinking a different way, for simply being a different way. Perhaps in the first place that was a mere defensive mechanism against being hurt. But either way, I'm moving on. I am to assume nothing, to think nothing, to empty my mind of any positions.
So to conclude what is humility. It is giving without expecting anything in return, it is loving endlessly without reprieve, it is giving your life for some else. It is caring for others, putting them before yourself. It is a redeeming experience, It is about giving and giving. 77 times that is how many times you are to forgive your brother or sister. It is like taking care of a toddler. :D It is the expression of sorge. It is the fulfillment of humanity. It is accepting that you cannot be right all the time..
SO i shall continue
No comments:
Post a Comment